Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Who can a Child call "Mom"? A Court decides.

In a decision released earlier this month, a New Jersey Court was called upon to decide whether an eight year old child can call his soon to be step-mother “Mom.”  The child’s biological mother took issue with the child calling her ex-husband’s fiancĂ© “Mom” and the Court was called upon to decide the issue.

The Court ruled that the child can call the fiancĂ© “Mom” and it would not intervene or bar the child from calling the future step-parent by the name he desired.  The Court felt that the decision was one the child should make – although it could be one he was making to please his father - and it refused to micro-manage the child on the issue. 

If you have any questions regarding custody of your children, call Stern & Associates today at (301) 444-4660 or visit us on the web at

Friday, December 18, 2015

A New Year's Resolution for Many: Get Divorced

Post-Holiday Divorce Inquiries Spike as Individuals Vow to be Happier Next Year

The holidays are almost upon us.  On December 26th, as many people will hit the malls to return unwanted Christmas presents and shop post-holiday sales, others will go online to begin their search for a divorce attorney. 

The post-Christmas and New Year’s surge to find a divorce attorney is almost upon us.  As I have told people for years, the time between December 26 and the end of January is when I receive the largest number of inquiries from potential divorce clients seeking a divorce in Maryland.
Why the post-holiday rush for divorce attorneys?  Although in a troubled marriage, many people decide to hold out through the holidays and do not want to cause a disruption for themselves or their families during what should be a festive and joyous time from Thanksgiving through Christmas.  Others make a simple New Year’s resolution:  “I am going to be happier next year.”  And oftentimes being happier involves divorcing or separating from a spouse.

If you are one of those individuals who is seeking divorce information during the post holiday season, you can call my office to schedule an initial consultation where I will be happy to address any questions you may have about divorce in the State of Maryland.  It is a new year, resolve to be happier.

For a free, initial divorce consultation, in person or over the phone, call my offices today at (301) 444-4660.  You can also visit my web sites at and