Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Courtroom Attire - Avoid a Fashion Faux Pas

It's summer in Washington, D.C. and it's hot. But that does not excuse bad attire in the courtroom.

As I sat in court this morning, I saw a number of parties wearing t-shirts and shorts. I saw another party heading to District Court in a tank top. In my book, that's a big mistake.

Courts are venerable institutions and the Judges who hear your cases warrant and deserve your respect. Your appearance is important and sends a message to them. Even though it may be 90 degrees outside, men should always wear khakis or slacks and a dress shirt, preferably, or at a minimum, a collared shirt. Although I prefer my male clients to appear in jacket and tie, business casual is acceptable. Women should also avoid shorts and t-shirts.

Appearances matter. Look nice for Court. It sends a message.

No comments: