Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Changes in Custody and Teenage Children

Many divorced parents want to know at what age their children can make decisions regarding the custody arrangement they are subject to. By Maryland statute, a 16 year old can file a petition with the Court in their own name seeking a change in custody.

Maryland Family Law Article 9-103 provides:

§ 9-103. Petition by child to change custody (a) Petition by child. -- A child who is 16 years old or older and who is subject to a custody order or decree may file a petition to change custody.

(b) Guardian or next friend not required. -- A petitioner under this section may file the proceeding in the petitioner's own name and need not proceed by guardian or next friend.

(c) Hearing required; amendment of custody order or decree. -- Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, if a petitioner under this section petitions a court to amend a custody order or decree, the court: (1) shall hold a hearing; and (2) may amend the order or decree and place the child in the custody of the parent designated by the child.

No comments: